Hi, my name is Martha!
I’m a Londoner who has always been passionate about travelling the world and I’m finally realising a long-held dream to write about my travels.
Why I started this blog
Over the last twenty years working in big organisations, I managed to travel a lot during leave or in between jobs, and I did the odd bit of travel writing here and there – but I didn’t have the time nor energy to focus on it whilst also working long hours and climbing the corporate ladder.
Then Covid came along, my company was affected, and I was made redundant. Since then, I’ve been working freelance – and with the flexibility of being self-employed, I realised I had a great opportunity to focus on two passions: travelling more and travel writing.
How I travel
I would describe myself as an experience-seeker and a discovery addict. I am drawn to both big vibrant cities and vast, dramatic landscapes, quite possibly because I’m an introvert. Check out my first post to learn more about me and why I travel.
I travel either with my husband or solo. I’ve travelled on six continents and in all kinds of ways: backpacking, road trips, city breaks, adventures and luxury travel. I’ve landed on a way of travelling that cuts costs on some things in order to indulge in others. I call it ‘smart indulgence’.
I hope the different experiences I’ve had and my travel tips will inspire and empower you to travel more – and to discover the most beautiful places in the world. And that’s why I say this blog May Cause Wanderlust!
Where I’ve been
- Africa: Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia & South Africa
- Asia: Hong Kong, Israel, Maldives, Sri Lanka & Türkiye
- Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland (plus the UK, which is home, so doesn’t really count!)
- North America: Cuba, Greenland & USA
- Oceania: New Zealand
- South America: Bolivia & Peru
My blogging principles
There are three things I try to focus on in my travel writing:
- Inspiration – I want to inspire people, so I write predominantly about the best experiences I’ve had when travelling; the places that moved and enriched me.
- Experiences – My articles include useful information, but I also like to share the feelings and sensations I had in a place, and what it meant to me.
- Authenticity – I will only write about places I have been to. I don’t use ghostwriters or AI writers (I didn’t realise until recently that this might set me apart from some travel blogs!). If I collaborate with any guest bloggers, I will give credit to them, so you know who they are.
I’m an amateur travel photographer and all images in this blog are mine unless otherwise stated. For more photos, check out my Instagram.
Check out my latest articles
If you’re putting together a Christmas stocking for someone who loves to travel, check out these helpful ideas for stocking fillers.
Choose a great hotel from hand-picked recommendations of the best places to stay in Paris for the first time (some with an Eiffel Tower view!)
If you can’t decide between Paris and Barcelona for a European city break let me help, with this Paris vs Barcelona comparison on key travel criteria.
Amsterdam sparkles at Christmastime – here’s what to expect at the Ice Village, the best Christmas Market in Amsterdam.
Based on my experience in 2022, I share the best Parisian Christmas Markets, the somewhat lacklustre ones and the WORST!
You’ve already heard Springtime in Paris is wonderful, but let me show you 24 delightful Spring-specific things to do in Paris in 2024.