Hi, my name is Martha!
I’m a Londoner who has always been passionate about travelling the world and I’m finally realising a long-held dream to write about my travels.
Why I started this blog
Over the last twenty years working in big organisations, I managed to travel a lot during leave or in between jobs, and I did the odd bit of travel writing here and there – but I didn’t have the time nor energy to focus on it whilst also working long hours and climbing the corporate ladder.
Then Covid came along, my company was affected, and I was made redundant. Since then, I’ve been working freelance – and with the flexibility of being self-employed, I realised I had a great opportunity to focus on two passions: travelling more and travel writing.
How I travel
I would describe myself as an experience-seeker and a discovery addict. I am drawn to both big vibrant cities and vast, dramatic landscapes, quite possibly because I’m an introvert. Check out my first post to learn more about me and why I travel.
I travel either with my husband or solo. I’ve travelled on six continents and in all kinds of ways: backpacking, road trips, city breaks, adventures and luxury travel. I’ve landed on a way of travelling that cuts costs on some things in order to indulge in others. I call it ‘smart indulgence’.
I hope the different experiences I’ve had and my travel tips will inspire and empower you to travel more – and to discover the most beautiful places in the world. And that’s why I say this blog May Cause Wanderlust!
Where I’ve been
- Africa: Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia & South Africa
- Asia: Hong Kong, Israel, Maldives & Sri Lanka
- Europe: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland (plus the UK, which is home, so doesn’t really count!)
- North America: Cuba & USA
- Oceania: New Zealand
- South America: Bolivia & Peru
My blogging principles
There are three things I try to focus on in my travel writing:
- Inspiration – I want to inspire people, so I write predominantly about the best experiences I’ve had when travelling; the places that moved and enriched me.
- Experiences – My articles include useful information, but I also like to share the feelings and sensations I had in a place, and what it meant to me.
- Authenticity – I will only write about places I have been to. No ghost writers, nor AI-written blog posts. I didn’t realise until recently that this might set me apart from some travel blogs! If I use guest writers, I will give credit to them, so you know who they are.
I’m an amateur travel photographer and all images in this blog are mine unless otherwise stated. For more photos, check out my Instagram.
Want to get in touch? Contact Me
Check out my latest articles
In the last year, I’ve road-testing my gear travelling solo across 15 countries, so here are the best travel gadgets for solo travellers, in my opinion.
Barcelona has some of the most hip & sophisticated cocktail bars in the world, so check out these great cocktail bars in Barcelona.
Lima is a busy city with a colonial history and a world class food scene – read on for 12 great things to do in Lima.
Discover the best of this historic area of New York City, including Little Italy, Chinatown, the 9/11 Memorial, Wall Street & the Brooklyn Bridge.
If you’re planning to do the Inca Trail hike in Peru, you need this comprehensive Inca Trail packing list – covering all the essentials, plus discretionary items.
You can find a wide range of restaurants in Cusco, from fine dining to casual brunch spots; traditional Peruvian dishes to innovative fusion menus.